Sound Deadening Removal with Dry Ice (Part 2)

What an absolute pain in the a$$ it is to remove sound deadening material from this car! I ran out of dry ice during the first go around on removing this stuff. (Read here to see part 1 of this process.)

The dry ice method works well except things get tricky when it comes to removing the material from vertical objects (like the transmission tunnel.) For the dry ice to rest onto a vertical space like the transmission tunnel, I had to construct a trough out of cardboard.

I started working on some small areas in the trunk but then said forget it! I just focused on removing all of the sound deadening crap out of the spare tire well and called it a day.

The idea wasn’t too bad except I had barely enough to surround the deadening material on the transmission tunnel. I used 35 pounds of dry ice and (6) 32oz bottles of isopropyl alcohol to get this job done.

I was able to remove most of the sound deadening from the transmission tunnel, but there are still a few stubborn areas to try and pry the material off. Will have to spend an entire day chipping away at the small patches that did not get lifted by the dry ice.

I’ve got some incredibly tedious work ahead of me to clean up the 10 billion pieces of sound deadening chips from the floor pan. There were many small pieces that fell into misc openings in the floor pan. At some point, once the car is operational, I guarantee there will be some rattling sounds coming from everywhere. 🙃

Share your thoughts